Thursday 19 May 2011

Monster- Charlize Theron, Christina Ricci

I'm currently eating dinner. It's this awful chicken vinaigrette salad with way too much onion. After I wade through this massive salad, I'm going to kick back, keep ignoring all my looming assignment dea dlines and watch "Monster'.




I watched this for the first time a year ago with my buddy Taj. He believes a good movie is one with lots of awards attached to it, so this one was perfect. (Charlize Theron got 17 best actress awards.)

I don't necessarily agree with this (The Blind Side, I'm looking at you!) but settled back to watch anyway cause that's what I do.

Charlize is Aileen Wuornos, not the first female serial killer but probably the most famous one. Before all the killing and despair starts, Aileen meets Selby, (Tyria Moore in Real Life) and they dance together at a roller disco to the sounds of Journey's 'Dont Stop Believing', now widely famous as 'that Glee song'.

Now I can't pretend that Aileen is my type. She's unattractive in a real life kind of way, not in a movie sense. (you know, in need of contact lenses and a hair cut.) Selby is also not really my type, too whiny, too little-lost-puppy.

BUT.

I love the scene where they kiss. It then cuts to them outside, making out frantically up against a building.
When I watch this movie, my heart races. Charlize and Christina really sell the desperation of their characters, the utter need they have for each other.

(Disclaimer, this is a rare positive review)




It's not all that long after this that the killing begins, and Selby starts to act like a real biatch, so it's really only the first half an hour that I really love, the rest is just icing.

Anyway, tell me what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment