Friday 6 May 2011

First Daughter...made me gag on my dinner.

This was the only movie playing on my TV tonight.



I recommend you watch the trailer, and then thoroughly disinfect your brain lest the taint catch hold.


Why is it that all these movies always feature a virginal young girl who is swept off her feet by a vaguely menacing older man?
Imagine a movie in which a college aged boy is out with his friend's drinking. He's trashed, dancing and having fun, under the eye of a friend. (Token Black is in this scene, milling around in the background.)
Now imagine his ex girlfriend shows up, beats up the girl he was flirting with, and drags him home and puts him to bed*
Is this still a romantic picture? Is she a hero saving him from the evils of underage drinking and maybe even a little casual sex?
I suspect she'd be put firmly into the stalker, psycho category.
This actually happens in this movie, only, of course, the genders are reversed, and instead of being a pathetic ex boyfriend with no boundaries, he's actually made out to be her white knight. Her albino knight.
Seriously the extreme whiteness of this movie bothers me. It's like a toothpaste ad.

Why do you think this is?
....I don't hate this movie because of any of the following reasons:
- It's laughably naive about politics
- None of the main characters can act
- It relies upon the stupidity of its characters to advance the plot
These flaws are bad enough on their own, and these are only the things I picked up in the 30mins total I watched of this film! (15 at the start and 15 towards the end)
I hate it more because as a romance film it completely fails in making its characters likeable! Romantic Lead Female is a doormat and an idiot, Romantic Lead Male is a sexist pig with delusions of grandeur.

I guess that kind of means I hate this film because it's....sexist.

(Wince)

It's hard to put that into words because I know the eye rolling that the mere mention of sexism induces in an army of trolls, but it needed to be said. It does not get a pass for being old, or for being so cringe inducing American, which, let’s face it, is sort of a synonym for backwards anyway.

(You may notice I don’t always provide a handy plot summary with these movies. That’s because I am aware that you are just as capable of using Google and imdb.com as I am.>
 Oh yeah, one more thing. I seem to have accidently started following myself on Blogger, which is weird. Seems like there should be a mechanism to stop oneself from doing that. I feel like there is a whole lot of things I don't know about blogging, but I'm always keen to hear tips, advice, even just plain criticism!
So talk to me baby. Let's talk all night long.

No comments:

Post a Comment